For many older customers of Atlassian the news that Server is going away was, we believe, inevitable, but still likely to cause grief.
In fact, it made us immediately think of this excellent Bond song by Sam Smith. Very strong feelings have been expressed by the announcement:
“I’ve been here before
But always hit the floor
I’ve spent a lifetime running
And I always get away
But with you I’m feeling something
That makes me want to stay”
I’m prepared for this
I never shoot to miss
But I feel like a storm is coming
If I’m gonna make it through the day
Then there’s no more use in running
This is something I gotta face”
Cos the writing’s on the wall..”
As partners, we too, had guessed this was coming… Atlassian is determined to lead with their cloud offering and for those who need specific data residency or functional requirements the Data Center platform is still an option. Server has just three or so more years, which actually is still a very decent runway.
However, it really isn’t as bad as Spectre. With a more streamlined portfolio, Atlassian continues to drive innovation faster on their cloud platform . Today, with over 90% of new customers landing on Atlassian Cloud, this offering is quickly becoming the leading solution for teams of all sizes. We’ve included a high level list of benefits below:
- Fast start-up: It’s easy to set up and get started in minutes. As soon as you sign up, you can start working and inviting team members.
- Reduced costs: Save money on physical hardware, maintenance, installation and support and other hidden administration costs.
- No need to upgrade: Get immediate access to the latest and greatest features, no work required.
- Work on the go: Atlassian’s cloud products enable your teams to take your work anywhere and can be accessed securely from any browser or our cloud mobile apps. Learn more.
- Security: We help keep your organization secure and compliant, with real-time security updates and rigorous practices to track and protect your information. Learn more.
- Change management: For products with Premium or Enterprise plans, cloud offers safe environments to test changes with sandboxes and the ability to delay changes with release tracks.
- Scale with confidence: In cloud, we handle the procurement of inventory and storage space. Respond immediately to dynamic spikes in demand and team growth.
Data Center provides a more robust, on-premise solution than that of the Server product. https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/server-vs-data-center-whats-right helps to better understand the details and the value that Data Center can bring to your organization.
Just like all Bond movies, the good guys always win after a good fight; we don’t think this will be any different. There are always going to be challenges and changes to deal with, but this platform is fantastic value and moving to cloud will make your life much easier without having to deal with infrastructure problems.
What are my timelines?
In order to achieve this outcome, Atlassian are ending the sale of new server licenses on February 2, 2021. Existing customers can renew existing licenses for 3 years. Server customers on advantaged pricing plans will also experience a price increase.
Additionally, Data Center products are being updated to include native Atlassian Applications (Advanced Roadmaps, Team Calendars for Confluence) and Priority Support for main product lines. To support this continued innovation, Atlassian will be raising the price of Data Center subscriptions on February 2, 2021.
The full details of this announcement can be found at this link: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/journey-to-cloud.
As always, we will keep you up to date on the latest changes to the deployments, as they become available. Our experts are here to recommend a best-practice solution for you over the next 3-years. Additionally, we will be releasing further written collateral on your options to embrace Atlassian Cloud or Data Center.
Please reach out at email@example.com if you have any questions and/or wish to set up a touch point to discuss how this announcement will affect your Atlassian tools.