Virtually every team drives to ensure their deliverables are issued with a high degree of quality. Many organizations are moving to ensure there is a culture of quality first throughout the organization. Software teams are faced with ever changing challenges in this area. Not only are software projects increasingly complicated and teams culturally and geographically diverse, but the demand for higher velocity development is also increasing.
We are an independent solution partner: we don’t build or sell our own apps which means you, the customer, can be ensured of receiving unbiased advice and best practice recommendations.
Not sure what to do next? Blended Perspectives has the best integrated tool set for your team. Our expertise and rapid deployment techniques will have your team using world class test management tools in not just weeks, but days.
To meet these challenges software teams need to build in quality checks, which means testing at every stage of the development cycle, and they need to use the right tools to plan, execute and track these activities. No longer will testing wait until the end of the development cycle and be the sole responsibility of the QA team – quality assurance will be a responsibility borne jointly by software and QA teams. This, in turn, means that these teams will benefit from test management applications that are tightly integrated with other tools they are using.
The Atlassian Stack and Context for Testing
Once issues are created they can be managed in the various facilities that Jira provides such as Filters, Projects and Boards. When considering third party apps an important question is: “how does the application work with other Jira facilities, rather than as a standalone product?”
Conversely what does the new application provide that is not natively available in Jira. A further element is that reporting apps such as eazyBI can generate excellent reports if the items or issues in question conform to the basic Jira architecture displayed here.
The next aspect to understand is how the various core Atlassian applications work together to support the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC). Testing is best thought of in the context of the SDLC main functions.
As an example, when code is built using a build engine such as Bamboo, it will automatically detect and expose any breaks; this in itself is a form of initial basic testing. Moreover, build engines can trigger further automated testing which will create defects that need triage in the development backlog.
When reviewing testing apps, how they deal with the release management process is a major consideration. Blended Perspectives’ testing specialists will look at the elements and consider how well supported they are and how manageable the various aspects of the overall process.
We incorporate all these elements with the Atlassian overall model. This helps us truly appreciate how a testing app will work with the Atlassian stack. In the model below we have three stakeholder perspectives:
- The Developer/Scrum team functions
- The specialist Testing view
- DevOps which lives in the middle (serves both of these previous functions)
If your software team is already using a software development solution which includes Atlassian products then no matter whether you are using Agile, Waterfall or some other process Jira is already being used to:
- Plan and distribute tasks across your software team.
- Prioritize, track, and discuss your team’s work in full context with complete visibility.
- Provide reports based on real-time, visual data.
There are huge benefits to be realized by integrating your test management and software development tools. If your organization already has a test management product that they know and love, data from those products can be imported so that the reports produced by Jira present the complete picture of the development status including testing. An even better alternative would be to implement a solution in which the test management software is so tightly integrated with Jira users are not even aware that there is more than one product being used. In this scenario test issues can be created, executed, tracked and reported on just like any other Jira issue.
In the first scenario the solution to integrate of your test management software would provide the following features:
- Plan and distribute tasks across your software team – Jira
- Prioritize, track, and discuss your software team’s work in full context with complete visibility – Jira
- Plan, execute and track testing activities – your test management product
- Maintain library of test cases – test management software
- Provide reports based on real-time, visual data and including data from test management system – Jira
- Benefit from enhanced collaboration features via HipChat and @mentions – not seamlessly integrated with test management software
- Manage a document repository with Confluence – not seamlessly integrated with test management software
In the second scenario the teams would have a tightly integrated solution that would allow them to execute their daily activities without having a ‘access a different product’:
- Plan and distribute software development and testing activities across your teams
- Prioritize, track, and discuss your teams’ work in full context with complete visibility
- Maintain library of test cases
- Provide reports based on real-time, visual data
- Manage a single document repository with
- ConfluenceIntegrate with automated testing tools
Read more from Atlassian on Software Testing.
- Jira Software – manage all the work that is done during the software development lifecycle including technical implementation and bug fixes
- Jira Core – manage business processes and team’s tasks using simple workflows
- Bitbucket – distributed version control system (Git) with flexible deployment models for teams of all sizes and needs.
- Bamboo – a continuous integration and deployment tool that ties automated builds, tests and releases together in a single workflow.
- Confluence – publish documentation/policies/guidelines/procedures; self serve access
- Zephyr for Jira – a full featured test management solution tighly integrated with Jira
- EazyBI – augment standard Jira reporting with ability to create pivot table reports or explore different chart options and use predefined or custom calculation formulas.
We created this whitepaper to provide an essential, independent guide for Testing using Atlassian. Atlassian’s Marketplace is vast and rapidly changing and organizations have a multitude of choices for many solution areas – testing is especially rich.
With the accepted demise of the old HP ALM platform, now owned by Micro Focus, many organizations have realized that they already have Jira, an excellent platform to support all of these testing functions. Read more here.
Ready To Get Started?
Agile, SDLC, Program Management, ITIL/Service Desk Support / Jira, Confluence, Atlassian Toolset, Bitbucket, Atlassian Dev Ops. Solutions include PPM, Compliance and Risk Management, HR, CRM and general business process support.