The long awaited Jira 8.0 has now been released – here are the key takeaways and it’s all about performance:
- Agile boards load up to 2x faster, and the largest boards (10,000+ issues) load up to 21x faster
- Jira Query Language (JQL) searches are 31% faster on average
- Email notifications are less chatty with batched updates
- New priority status icons are clearer
- Re-index duration is up to 71% shorter
- Index size has decreased by up to 48%
A few more details:
1. There are some serious “under the hood” performance enhancements here:
“In anticipation of your performance needs, we’ve optimized how Jira uses Lucene, the technology that powers everything from searches and reports to boards and sidebar content. We’ve also taken the time to upgrade over 40 other libraries that comprise the Jira platform to ensure faster performance and greater stability. Whenever we make foundational changes like this to Jira, we know we’re potentially impacting the day-to-day work of millions of people and thousands of organizations. We’ve taken extra care to make sure we get these changes right.”
2. Jira priority icons have been updated for greater clarity:
3. Linked issues searching. Now this is a super feature upgrade as search for linked issue types used to be a real hassle!
|Field Type||ISSUE_TYPE ???|
Detailed release notes are here: Jira Software 8.0.x release note
Upgrade to Jira 8.0
This is a major upgrade. While there massive performance improvements, Jira 8.0 contains breaking changes for a large number of plugins.
Because we are a neutral independent partner – our concern is that all of your apps work on Jira 8.0. Here is a tip – you can run a compatibility check on your apps by simply selecting which version you want to move to. This will identify risks by app and then you can contact individual app vendors to determine your best course of action.