Holy Guacamole! This is big news about Atlassian’s latest acquisition. Atlassian, prior to the acquisition was already a “challenger”. Now with the Agile Craft acquisition – they are surely King of the Hill! Since we know that the majority of Agile teams use Jira (more than twice the share of the nearest competitor);
⇒ Tactical teams all planning in Atlassian
⇒ All modes of planning supported, Waterfall, Agile, ScrumFall, SAFe, etc.
⇒ Enterprise-wide reporting with Jira Align (AgileCraft)
This creates a blockbuster Portfolio and Project Management solution (PPM).
Here are some quotes and highlights from the recently released Gartner report.
Excerpt from Gartner’s report – Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Agile Planning Tools – published 16 April 2019:
“AgileCraft is a Leader. Its EAP tool is also called AgileCraft.
Consider AgileCraft if: you are looking for a full-featured solution with framework support.
AgileCraft offers a comprehensive solution for large organizations aspiring to embrace agile and DevOps. Its tool has built-in support for multiple enterprise agile frameworks, including SAFe. AgileCraft can combine data from many teams using varying methodologies and team-level tools. It can track software changes from roadmap through DevOps toolchain to release. Atlassian announced on 18 March 2019 that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire AgileCraft. The content of this Magic Quadrant has not changed in any way due to this pending acquisition. We recommend considering each vendor’s offering independently for now, as it will be a considerable time before it is possible to evaluate the combined company or its product lines.
- AgileCraft provides a comprehensive solution that satisfies many use cases.
- AgileCraft’s product can seamlessly support teams using AgileCraft, Atlassian Jira and Microsoft Team Foundation Server for story tracking.
- AgileCraft has a modern, simple and elegant UI.
Atlassian is a Challenger. Its EAP tools are Jira, Confluence and Portfolio.
Consider Atlassian if: you are looking for a team-level solution for both agile and traditional development, when advanced portfolio-level functionality is not essential.
Atlassian’s solution focuses on task management, including work item management, defect tracking, team-level collaboration, and options for integration with a wide range of other tools. The vendor offers its solution both on-premises and in the cloud, but does not have an enterprise sales team — instead, it offers online purchasing via credit card. Atlassian’s large installed base helps ensure that customers ready access to experienced users and support for best practices globally. Atlassian announced on 18 March 2019 that it had entered into a definitive agreement to acquire AgileCraft. The acquisition was completed on 1 April 2019. The content of this Magic Quadrant has not changed in any way due to this acquisition.
- Atlassian Jira is the leading team-level tool. It offers easy-to-learn and easy-to-use Scrum team functionality at an attractive price.
- A large customer base for Jira ensures a strong third-party market via the Atlassian Marketplace. Atlassian also has nearly 500 channel partners.
- External orchestration for Git and continuous integration (CI) solutions through the Bitbucket and Bamboo add-ons positions Atlassian to attract organizations implementing DevOps practices.”