MARS App Profile:
App: Deep Clone for Jira
Vendor: codefortynine GmbH
Primary Category: Administration
Active Instances: 4065
Instances Monthly Growth: 7%
Instances 2022 Growth: 7%
Competitor: Clone Plus for Jira, Elements Copy & Sync – clone Jira issues, Bulk Clone Professional for Jira
One of our unique offerings at Blended Perspectives is our Marketplace Analytic Research Service (MARS) database of Atlassian Marketplace 3rd party apps.
While many Atlassian Partners make their own apps, we believed that we could bring greater value to our customers and the Atlassian Community as a whole by creating a quantitative and objective database covering every facet of the Atlassian Marketplace.
MARS contains a vast array of data from instances, reviews, and pricing, to platform, app growth, and version releases. This is all tied together at the top level through our meaningful app categorization in which, for every app with over 500 instances, we carefully assigned our own categories based on the primary functionality of each app. We do this instead of using Marketplace app categorizations which are somewhat meaningless due to vendor self-selection. This means that MARS can give us a completely unique perspective into which apps are really excelling and driving forwards in the Marketplace.
Deep Clone for Jira
Deep Clone for Jira is a Cloud only advanced cloning app that lets users go far beyond Jira’s native cloning functionality.
2021 was an excellent year for Deep Clone for Jira as it grew by 78% over the year and Deep Clone has continued its strong performance this year, growing by 7% over January.
As shown by Figure 1, Deep Clone has stormed away from its competitors in the cloning space over the past couple of years. Out of its major competitors, Deep Clone has gone from being the smallest in November 2018 to the largest by some distance today. This is a remarkable feat for codefortynine and speaks to the excellent work they’ve done over the past few years.
Jira’s native cloning functionality allows you to clone just individual issues without significant control over things like issue type, comments, and automation. To save time and perform more intricate tasks, more and more Jira users and admins are turning to cloning apps, and in particular to Deep Clone for Jira
We have previously discussed the cloning segment of the Atlassian Marketplace in our blog post “The Clone Wars” in which we profiled the category as a whole as well as doing profiles of Deep Clone, Clone Plus, and Elements Copy & Sync. In that article, we concluded that Deep Clone’s focus on Cloud performance and wide-ranging functionality, while still being priced competitively, is driving its incredible growth. This story largely hasn’t changed.
Figure 1: Deep Clone Growth vs Other Cloning Apps
Deep Clone lets users clone up to 100,000 issues as well as entire projects (including issues, components, and versions) with the click of a button
Through Deep Clone users can clone and move individual issues and groups of issues to other projects and issue types
Clones can be bulk edited
Users can also clone epics, including all tasks and subtasks
Deep Clone also lets users clone entire issue trees, including initiatives and any other issue layers in Portfolio.
Cloning can be automated with Deep Clone by adding a Deep Clone post function to your workflow
Issues can be cloned across Jira cloud instances
- The most popular feature of Deep Clone is its ability to clone entire projects (including issues, settings, versions, and components)
- On top of this, since Deep Clone gives users flexibility with the ability to Bulk Clone up to 100,000 issues while moving them to other projects and clone entire issue hierarchies
Managing Multiple Jira Instances
- Users can clone issues between two Jira instances that have Deep Clone installed
- Deep Clone also gives users the ability to automate their cloning
- With Deep Clone you can automate cloning with the Deep Clone workflow post-function and create presets for recurring cloning actions
- Users benefit from advanced cloning settings (clone and move, clone and edit, have more flexibility when it comes to cloning fields, create versions or components while cloning, clone sprints, etc…)
Speeding Up Issue Cloning
- Deep Clone offers advanced features, that are not available in the standard clone feature of Jira such as: the ability to clone comments & issue statues, choose which fields to clone and which to not, clone cloned issues can be moved to another project and issue type while cloning, while some data can be created in the target project while cloning (components, labels, versions, sprints)
Congratulations to Deep Clone for Jira and codefortynine! Deep Clone is an incredibly useful app for almost anyone who manages a Jira instance (or multiple). codefortynine’s Cloud first approach is clearly paying off and their excellent app is doing brilliantly in this competitive market.