- Planning: Planning is a key feature on all migrations. Establish a timeline, expected downtime, data validation, and post migration checks to be executed.
- Apps usage and features: Not all server apps are available on the Cloud. If you use an app that is not available on the Cloud, it is essential to access what the app does to find a relevant solution that will be available on the Cloud.
- Timing: Ideally no more than 30 days between testing and performing the actual migration (or as close as possible). Cloud is continually changing, keeping the testing and actual migration dates close helps to assure everything will run smoothly and no surprises happen.
- Have audience involved on the process: When moving from Server to Cloud some UI features change. It is imperative to engage the team on this process. Once the test migration happens, have the users to actually use the Cloud site and perform their everyday activities. This helps in getting them comfortable with the new platform and further helps with testing the migration (verify if all integrations, functionalities, and performance are working as expected).
- Testing the migration: When performing the test migration, review your cloud site to validate that everything works as expected (application links, app data, integrations, data creation (projects and issues for Jira and Spaces and pages for Confluence), verify if attachments were migrated correctly and if they can be edited/deleted).
- Migration run-book: Document the test migration steps executed so they can be executed repeatedly on the actual migration.
- Documentation: Take notes on changes detected between your Server and your Cloud instances (this is useful for training your users during and after the actual migration.
Why Blended Perspectives?
- As a Platinum Enterprise Partner, we have the trusted technical and business experience.
- Ex-Atlassian Engineers to support you every step of the way.
- Experience Counts – see details about one of our study cases here: Equitable Bank (EQ Bank) Atlassian Cloud Case Study.
- Migration is one of our day-to-day jobs, and we experience dealing with unexpected technical and functional challenges. Let us help you avoid those!
Ready To Get Started?
Agile, SDLC, Program Management, ITIL/Service Desk Support / Jira, Confluence, Atlassian Toolset, Bitbucket, Atlassian Dev Ops. Solutions include PPM, Compliance and Risk Management, HR, CRM and general business process support.